15 Steps to Completing a College Application
College Application Checklist
Preparing college applications can be a daunting job for even the most organized students. There are many components that need must be included, and it may seem impossible to keep it all together. A strategy is what every student needs. The following steps can be used as a checklist of sorts to keep you on task.
1. The first thing you need to do is figure out to which colleges or universities you want to apply.
2. Once you have located the application, look through it to find out which forms must be completed and by when.
3. Completely and accurately, fill in all the forms for which you are responsible.
4. Complete the student section for other required forms such as the School Report and Teacher Evaluation.
5. Identify the essay questions.
6. Decide on topics for the essay questions and then write, edit and upload the essays onto the online application.
7. Gather and send any supplemental materials.
8. Proofread, print-preview and/or photocopy each piece of the application and then submit it online.
9. Contact the College Board (who offers the SAT and Subject Tests) or ACT to send your test score transcript to the school.
10. Ask your high school to send your transcript to the college.
11. If it is available and you can do it, make arrangements for an admissions interview.
12. Two weeks after submitting your college application, check with the college to make sure that the admissions office has received everything.
13. If you need financial aid, the most important part of receiving it is completing the FAFSA form, available on January 1.
14. After your first semester grades come out, make sure that your school counselor sends in your Mid-year Report.
15. Unless you have applied Early Decision to a college, you have until May 1 to decide which college you’re going to say yes to.
For more information on the college application process, please contact the staff at Advanced College Solutions, Inc.