Tips on Communicating With Colleges Through Email
Most high school students need to understand that when they start communicating with colleges, email is the way to go.
After you have submitted your college applications, colleges will start communicating with you through email, and here are some important tips to keep in mind.
1. Use a neutral email address and using your name is the best choice if possible. If you cannot get your name as the actual email address, make sure you put your name as the display name that the reader will see.
2. Since you probably will not remember to check multiple email addresses, have the emails forwarded to the one you are willing to check on a regular basis.
3. Beginning now, commit to a plan to check your email a minimum of twice per week. It is a good idea to pick two days and set a reminder on your phone.
4. Go to the admissions website of the colleges you are applying to and sign up to be on each college’s email list. This will ensure you are notified when a college admission representative is in town, when you can sign up for alumni interviews, and enable you to receive important notices and deadlines.
5. Treat emails you send to colleges as if they are part of your college application since they are often added to your file. This means that you should write professional emails, using complete sentences with proper grammar and punctuation. In addition, stay away from any text “lingo,” such as lol, fyi, or abbreviations like “gr8.”
6. If you happen to email a college after you have submitted your application, make sure to include your common app ID number or the college-generated ID number in the subject line, along with always including your full name.
7. When you do receive an email from a college, respond as soon as possible. This will allow the college to understand that you are interested and have received the email. Also, if the email explains that you are missing something and need to submit an item, email back thanking the college for letting you know and then promptly submit what you are missing.
Remember to be professional in all of your email responses and continually reiterate how you are seriously contemplating attending that college.
At Advanced College Solutions, Inc., we offer a variety of programs that will prepare you for the college admissions process. Please give us a call and set up an appointment so we can get you started on your path to college.