The Gates Millennium Scholars Program
One thousand gifted students are chosen each year for the Gates Millennium Scholars (GMS) Program. The scholarship received is “good-through-graduation” and may be used at any college or university the student chooses. Gates Millennium Scholars are provided with personal and professional development through leadership programs along with academic support throughout their college career.
The Gates Millennium Scholars Program, established in 1999, was initially funded by a $1 billion grant from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. The goal of GMS is to promote academic excellence and to provide an opportunity for outstanding minority students with significant financial need to reach their highest potential. This is accomplished by:
- Reducing financial limitations for African American, American Indian/Alaska Native, Asian Pacific Islander American and Hispanic American students who show excellent academic and leadership ability and have great financial need.
- Increasing the representation of these specific groups in the areas of computer science, education, engineering, library science, mathematics, public health and the sciences, where these groups are severely underrepresented.
- Developing a diversified core of future leaders for America by empowering successful completion of bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degrees.
- Providing consistent support through all levels of study, for students selected as Gates Millennium Scholars entering the academic areas listed above.
The GMS Scholarship Award Provides:
- Support for the cost of education, covering unmet need and self-help aid.
- Renewable awards for Gates Millennium Scholars maintaining acceptable academic advancement.
- Graduate school funding for continuing Gates Millennium Scholars in the areas of computer science, education, engineering, library science, mathematics, public health or science.
- Leadership development programs with distinctive personal, academic and professional growth opportunities.
The GMS Program is more than just a scholarship. It offers Gates Millennium Scholars Academic Empowerment services to encourage academic excellence; mentoring assistance for academic and personal growth; and an online resource center that provides internship, fellowship and scholarship information.
If you think you might be a candidate for the Gates Millennium Scholars Program, contact one of our staff members.