Tips on Applying for Scholarships
We all know that paying for college is a highly costly endeavor. One way to help you minimize the cost of the college you will attend is to obtain as many scholarships as you can.
According to scholarships.com, the only way to have a shot at winning scholarships is to apply for scholarships. The site encourages you to apply early, apply often, and do your research on what scholarships are best for you. The better prepared you are, the better the chance is to get your share of scholarship money to help supplement your financial aid package!
Here are some tips that the site suggests:
1. Procrastinating and even missing the deadlines of scholarships opportunities won’t allow you to possibly secure some free funding for college that you may not have to pay back. You should apply early as possible, which is usually in October of your senior year of high school.
2. Having the right state of mind is also important. Even if you may feel that a specific scholarship is too competitive or you may not think you will win a scholarship, the site says that someone has to win, so why shouldn’t it be you?
3. If you have an excellent grade point average and SAT or ACT scores, shoot for the scholarships that focus on academics. In addition, you should also create a list of what makes you special and unique and what sets you apart from other applicants. Make sure you include all of this information when you are filling out the student profile.
4. Being organized will be a huge benefit. Once you have figured out which scholarships you will apply for, set up a calendar which has all the approaching deadlines. You should also make a priority list of the scholarships you believe you have the best shot at winning.
5. Remember that if you think you don’t match the criteria of a specific scholarship, don’t apply and waste your time.
6. Make sure you contact the scholarship providers, but remember to only contact them in the manner that they have requested. This may be through email, fax, or a formal letter.
7. Remember that if there is a scholarship that has an award that you have to pay for, it could be a potential scam so be careful.
8. When it comes to writing an essay, you may be able to use your essay for multiple scholarships. Just remember that you read the directions carefully and make sure you answer the prompt or essay question accurately.
If you need any assistance in filling out applications for scholarships, please give us a call and we can set up an appointment to get you started.