Tips to Consider Before and During Your College Entrance Exam
High school students planning on attending a four-year university will need to take either one or both of the college entrance exams, the ACT or the SAT.
Making sure that you are ultimately prepared can be is an important factor in being successful on these high stakes exams.
With that said, here are some tips you can look at before and during the big tests.
Before you take the ACT or SAT:
- Spend time working through standardized test practice items for several weeks before your scheduled test date
- Make sure you know how the test is scored; find out if there is a scoring penalty for wrong answers so you know whether you should guess or not at questions you aren’t sure about
- Get a good night’s sleep before your scheduled test date
- On the morning of the test, eat a healthy, protein-rich breakfast
- Arrive early so you aren’t stressed about getting to the testing facility late
- Try to relax your mind before the test begins; sit in your car and listen to your favorite music and try to clear your head
During the test, consider these tips:
- Read ALL of the instructions carefully so you completely understand what is expected from you
- Read EVERY question carefully and pay attention to all details
- Keep track of the time in relation to each section you are taking
- Try not to become distracted by other test takers
- If you encounter a difficult question, don’t spend too much time on it; move on and if you have time, come back to it
- Go with your first intuition on the questions unless you are 100% sure you need to change it
- Remember that there might be three or four consecutive answers that are “C.” Don’t fall into the trap of looking for possible patterns on the test
- When you think you are finished, if you have time, go back through the test carefully to make sure you haven’t overlooked any questions
At Advanced College Solutions, Inc., we offer many programs that can help you study and become prepared for the ACT and SAT. Please give us a call and set up an appointment and we can help you out!