A Few Tips for the Student-Athlete
For college-bound student-athletes who are planning on playing college sports, there is an important process to consider to make sure you are doing what needs to be done to be eligible once you get accepted into college.
The following is a list for you to consider:
- What level of competition are you aspiring to?
Make sure you are aware of the difference between Division 1, Division 2, Division 3, and NAIA rules and requirements.
- Consider attending summer sports camps at a college of interest
Not only can you meet potential future coaches, but you can get a good feel for the campus while you are participating in a summer camp.
- Register with the NCAA Eligibility Center
If you are seriously thinking about playing Division 1 or 2 sports, you will need to register with this organization.
- Send letters of interest to colleges you are thinking about attending
During your sophomore or junior year in high school, send a letter to the coach explaining your interest in attending that college and playing sports there.
- Create and keep a list of contacts with college coaches
Have a special notebook where you keep all of the details, emails, letters, and notes of meetings you have with each college and coach.
- Prepare an athletic/academic resume and video
Create a resume that shows not only your athletic accomplishments, but your academic achievements as well. In addition, upload videos of your athletic performances for the coaches to have access to.
When you talk to a college coach, be upfront with him or her so you know where you stand. Ask them if they are recruiting you, if you fit the student profile they are looking for, and ask them if they believe you will be admitted to the university based on your academic record.
In addition, you will want to know other aspects about the college where you want to play athletics.
- Find out the graduation rate of student-athletes at each college you are interested in
- Find out what percentage of the student population is made up of student-athletes
- Since you will be spending a large amount of time with this coach, make sure you feel a special rapport with him or her
At Advanced College Solutions, Inc., we offer a wide variety of programs that will prepare you for the college admissions process. Please give us a call and set up an appointment so we can discuss your college plans.