Pages Navigation Menu

Email Us • (951) 693-2153 | (949) 238-7450 | (800) 344-1508

43525 Ridge Park Dr. Suite 100, Temecula 92590

120 Vantis, Suite 300, Aliso Viejo 92656

Financial Aid, Admissions, and Scholarship Assistance for College Undergrads and Graduate Students.

What is the Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) Program?

What is the Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) Program?

The WUE Program

The Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) is a program of the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education (WICHE). WUE enables students in western states to enroll in more than 140 two-year and four-year institutions at a reduced tuition of 150 percent of the regular resident tuition.

WUE offers students from WICHE states more affordable admission to programs that may not be offered at their state schools, and the opportunity to apply to more institutions.

Available Programs

Nearly all undergraduate fields are available to WUE students at participating colleges and universities. Some institutions offer only select programs at the reduced WUE rate; others have opened their entire curriculum, however, it may be on a space-available or first-come, first-serve basis.


Eligibility for WUE requires that students reside in a WICHE state (Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, Wyoming).

Residency alone does not guarantee the WUE rate, the institutions set individual guidelines. Some colleges and universities have additional criteria such as ACT/SAT test scores or high school GPA. In addition, the WUE reduced rate is not automatically given to every candidate. Many schools cap the number of new awards each academic year.

Application Process

There is not a universal WUE application. You must apply directly to all the WUE institution(s) you choose. There should be a place to request the WUE reduced rate on both hard copy applications and online applications, if there is not, contact the school admissions office on how to apply for the WUE discounted rate.

Although some institutions automatically consider applicants from a WICHE state for the WUE rate, most require that you request the special WUE rate at the time of application for admission, or that you apply for the WUE rate through their scholarship or financial aid office.

If you would like more information on the WUE program or assistance in the application process, please contact our staff.